1. The event organizers, promoters, staff, volunteers and sponsors including but not limited to anyone having anything to do with this event are not responsible for your safety or well-being, please commit to safe riding. You are responsible for you.
2. This event is a non-stop, limited-supported, ultra-endurance bicycling event that will require participants to travel on paved, gravel, sand, and dirt public roads. Participants will be able to meet support crews at designated areas only.
3. Participants must obey all city, county, state & federal laws, and "Rules of the Road". Participants must watch and yield to traffic as the roads used on this course are open to public traffic. Commit to safe riding and make wise decisions. Stay to the far right as possible and don't cross the centerline. Be aware of and use caution when approaching intersections and on public highway.
4. Participants must wear an approved helmet while operating their bicycle. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
5. Race numbers must be placed on the front of the bicycle and must be clearly visible at ALL times.
6. Participants will be responsible for printing their own set of course maps and/or cue sheets prior to the event. In addition, the course may have a limited number of course markings to reassure participants they are on the correct route. A .gpx file will be available on or before April 15th at www.kawsports.com.
7. The primary route must be followed at all times. No short cuts or alternate routes are permitted. Failure including accidental route deviation may result in disqualification. (The course may be altered by the promoters in the event of inclement weather, or other unforeseeable circumstance. Should this occur, participants will be sufficiently advised at a check point).
8. Participants must remain within the primary boundaries of the roadway at all times. If the roadway is bordered by fences or ditches, riders must stay between them. If the roadway is in open range, stay on the roadway. Leaving the roadway or climbing over a fence is considered short cutting the course and will result in disqualification.
9. If you exit the course for food, supplies, or any other reason, you must re-enter the course at the exact same spot at which you left. If you get lost, you must back track to the point you left the course. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
10. Participants may not advance along the route by any means other than bicycle or foot. All other means of advancement, including towing, tethering or hitching rides is prohibited and will result in disqualification.
11. Drafting on another event participant is allowed. Drafting in any other manner is prohibited including but not limited to drafting a non-participant cyclist or a motorized vehicle and will result in disqualification.
12. Participants must start and complete the entire course on the same bicycle frame. All other components and equipment may be repaired or replaced during the event. Participants in the Single-Speed class shall have only one gearing combination installed on their bike and must complete the entire event using the same gearing combination. Failure to use the same frame will result in disqualification.
13. All bicycles, including Single-Speed bicycles must be equipped with front & rear fully functioning hand operated brakes. Coaster style brakes do not satisfy this requirement. Failure to start race with front & rear working hand brakes will result in disqualification.
14. Participants may help other participants with mechanical support, navigational assistance and sharing food or water. Participants may not assist other participants with forward propulsion.
15. Participants may purchase food, bike parts, and other supplies at stores and businesses along the route. Always be aware of the distance to the next checkpoint and be prepared to travel that distance with the supplies you have.
16. Participants may receive assistance from any registered competitor in the race. Participants may receive assistance from any unplanned source that would be available to any other racer in the competition (for example stores, bike shops, faucets on the side of a building). Participants may receive assistance from the general public, defined as unplanned assistance from people who have no connection or affiliation with the race or a competitor in the race and that is freely & equally offered to all participants from a stationary, non-movable location (for example assistance in the form of mechanical help, food, water, bike parts would all be acceptable). Teams & support persons may not make copies or take photos of the race map or cue sheets – only participants are allowed to have a race map or cue sheet. Participants CAN meet their support crews and receive assistance at the official check points. A bag drop service will also be provided for a fee. Any violation will result in disqualification.
17. Participants may, in the case of an emergency, mechanical failure or other unforeseeable problem, be assisted by motorized transport. By accepting such motorized transport, you will be disqualified from the event.
18. A “Cut-Off” time will be established for reaching each checkpoint. Any participant not reaching a checkpoint before the established cut-off time may not be allowed to continue past that point. Cut-off times may be adjusted, as deemed necessary by event staff, to account for unforeseen circumstances such as inclement weather, poor course conditions, etc. Cut-off times are established for the purpose of rider safety.
19. All riders will familiarize themselves with the Kansas State Statutes regarding operating a bicycle on roadways. All riders are expected to abide by all applicable statutes.
20. Demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times, foul, abusive language or unsportsman-like conduct may result in immediate disqualification.
21. Respect the environment. Littering or any similar behavior may result in immediate disqualification.
22. Illegal drugs shall not be used by participant during the event. Athletes who are currently serving bans for doping will not be allowed to compete in this event.
23. Event staff reserves the right to adjust rules as necessary. Race director has final authority.
27. Have Fun!!
Support Crew Rules
Support Crews are not required but highly recommended. Multiple riders may share the same support crew. We will not come and rescue any riders, the support crew is responsible for their rider(s). There will be a Bag Drop service provided for those without support crews.
Official checkpoints along the route will serve as neutral areas where event participants may meet their support crew to receive food, water and repair equipment. These checkpoints will be the only locations along the entire course where participants may receive assistance from their support crew. Receiving assistance from a support crew, or any other non- participant, at any other point along the route will result in immediate disqualification from the event. No exceptions.
Support Crews are NOT allowed on course, except to pick up a rider who is abandoning the event. One exception to this is in the rare time the course may follow the same road as the support crew route. In these cases, the support crew will not interfere with the race or any rider. If a support crew vehicle is spotted on course for any other reason, their rider will be disqualified from the event. Providing support to a rider while on course violates the self-sufficiency spirit of this event and is unfair to other participants. Support crew vehicles are not allowed on Private Property. It is important for support crew to know the approved support crew directions handed out at check-in.
Red tail light and white headlight in case of nighttime conditions.
Cue sheets and / or cycling computer or GPS with route downloaded
Approved biking helmet
Race numbers must be placed on the front of the bicycle and clearly visible at ALL times.
Cell phone with fully charged battery
Cash / credit card (for food, water, supplies)
Food (bars, gels, etc)
Handlebar map case
Cue sheet holder
Spare inner tubes
Bike pump or CO2
Chain repair tool
Waterproof / windproof jacket